sign up

Top 10 Most Efficient Home in America

Matt Risinger is exploring one of the coolest houses ever, built by mechanical engineers and some of the best builders of their specialties. He visited a house that is so efficient, it's considered to be in the top 10 most energy efficient homes in the US. Built 5 years ago, the owner has never had to pay for a utilities bill, not one penny! The house is beautiful, and looks normal from the outside. It's a certified passive house, one of 2 in MA. A passive house has some of the strictest building and air tightness standards in the world, in order to even be certified, the house has to be approved by a 3rd party. The idea of a passive house is that the house can lose power, and it can completely maintain itself without power. In fact, it was tested, and a passive house lost power in the winter, and over the course of 5 days the inside of the home decreased by 10 degrees only. Pretty amazing technology here. 30% of the house is glass, and 60% of the house's heat enters through the windows as sunlight leaving only 40% for the owner to pay. You're not going to want to miss this video!